Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Post-race indulgences: How to make cinnamon roll pancakes

I did it! I finished my first half marathon, the Chicago Rock n' Roll, in 2:20:40, right at my goal time.

Kyle and Axel did awesome. Kyle finished at 1:50 and Axel 2:03.

We had an incredible experience with the race and a great weekend with our friends in Chicago. All the mornings of waking up at dawn to run, the sore legs and embarrassing moments (tripping over sticks and curbs), all came together on this one day of running for two hours and twenty minutes straight. It was so worth it.

The breakfast I indulged in after made the race even more worth it:

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes!


One of my favorite parts of this training has been the extra carbs I got to eat. Now, I still wasn't eating cupcakes and pancakes all day every day like I do in my dream world, but I could certainly enjoy a cupcake without a doubt.

My second post-race indulgent was this beauty:


2013-07-22 18.08.48.jpgA red velvet cream cheese frosted cupcake from the bakery near my mom's new job.


While the cupcake was awesome, cinnamon roll pancakes were a pretty great indulgence. It was the taste of a sugary, frosted cinnamon roll in a nice flat pancake, dipped in a little maple syrup. Soooo good! 

No need to run a half marathon to enjoy some cinnamon roll pancakes from a Chicago breakfast diner. You can whip them up at home anytime! Recipe Girl has the easy recipe right here. You basically make regular pancakes, and when the bubbles start to form, you swirl in a cinnamon filling of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Top with a glaze made of cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Alas, you have flattened cinnamon rolls! AKA, cinnamon roll pancakes.

Who says we can't have a little something sweet to start off the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment