Search This Blog

Monday, June 24, 2013

Cupcakes, cookies and a cure: an irresistable fundraiser

2013-06-21 21.40.07.jpg


Thank you to everyone who supported my bake sale Saturday. Because of your cupcake consumption and generous donations, I was able to raise $260 toward the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk I'll be participating in later this summer! I only have about $150 more to raise, and I'm confident I'll get there.

Bake sales are hard work, but they are a hoot of fun! What was really nice for me was that I used to work at Walgreens, where we held the bake sale. It was nice to have every customer come up to me with a smile rather than with a return item, a pocket full of coupons and a grumpy attitude.  When people walk in the door and see a table full of baked goods and pink posters, they're automatically happy. That's a fact.

2013-06-22 11.44.41.jpg
Who wouldn't smile at the sight of all this?




7 Steps to a Successful Bake Sale (from cozi.com)

  •  Gather a team.

    I wouldn't have survived this bake sale without some help. I asked my friend Kayla a month ahead of time if she would bake a couple things, but she also volunteered to help sell with me. She helped set up, take down, and price and wrap items. Sometimes I forget how important she is to my level of calmness. Without her, I'd be lost in my own little fairy land. She brings me back to reality when I need it. Her mom was also a big help, making a cute little cake that captured what the whole fundraiser was about. I also had volunteer baking from my friend Abby and a worker at Walgreen's who heard about the sale. And of course, my momma, who drank wine with me while I baked. Let people help you. You'll realize how much you need them.

  • Thank you to my awesome team of helpers
  • Choose the best spot: Walgreens on a Saturday is poppin. We nearly sold out after 2 1/2 hours!
  • Get the word out: Tell EVERYBODY about your bake sale. Post photos on Facebook and advertise. One girl I know came promptly at 11 am for two cupcakes and no need to even be at Walgreens. How exciting!

  • Start baking! Cookies were a hot item at our bake sale. We also had brownies, banana bread, banana muffins, cupcakes of all kinds, pineapple upside down cake, puppy chow, and a cake!
  • Boost sales with bonus items: Momma had breast cancer ribbon tattoos and pink beads for little kids. Buy a cookie and get a tattoo! Kids fell for it.
  • Pay attention to presentation: Make sure you have a way to package everything. Extra sacks will help for people who want a ton of your yummy baked goods. Have cool posters that dress your table up, too.
  • Be prepared! Make sure you have a cash box with plenty of change, a folding table, napkins, paper plates, price tags, posters, serving utensils, and anything else you might need. And don't forget your smile!
Most importantly, remember why you're doing it. You can't help but feel good about all that hard work work when it's going to something that will help others. Being in a small town, we knew just about everyone who came by. But a couple customers who I didn't know saw our table, came by and said they had lost someone to breast cancer. They said they'd be a fool not to support the cause.

Life isn't always as good as cupcakes and cookies, but when you can eat one knowing it's for a cure to end breast cancer, they taste even better.

2013-06-21 21.40.07.jpg
Keep calm and sell cupcakes.

2013-06-21 21.39.46.jpg2013-06-21 21.03.36.jpg2013-06-21 21.08.10.jpg




Check back tomorrow for more on these fun breast cancer ribbon sugar cookies.

2013-06-21 21.03.47.jpg2013-06-21 22.23.03.jpg2013-06-22 11.14.33.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment