Search This Blog

Friday, June 7, 2013

24 years of Cake




One tradition my mother has carried on since I was little is providing me with an awesome cake for each birthday. Every year, she had me think about what I was most interested in at the time, what described me best in that year, or any big achievements I had come across. Those ideas would solidify into one meaningful birthday cake.

2013-06-05 05.40.14.jpg
So excited to get cake! At age one, my parents decided I liked horsies. That didn't stick.



2: The Disney cakes begin with Minnie Mouse. Digging in the whole cake with a fork, my love for cake started early.


My mother will never let me forget The Little Mermaid cake I had when I was three. Every year, we laugh at the home video of me burning my nose on the candles.

2013-06-05 05.41.10.jpg
4: Clearly, Aladdin was the new obsession

2013-06-05 05.41.50.jpg
5: Two cakes! My first of three ballerina cakes. And my first bikini!


2013-06-05 05.42.08.jpg
6: Continuing the Disney phase (I have never grown out of this phase) with "The Lion King"


2013-06-05 05.42.38.jpg
I was lucky enough to have 2 cakes on my sixth birthday! This was a pretty Barbie cake. Streator friends, can you tell who these girls in this photo are?


7: Ballet slippers - check out that awful hair cut!


My ninth birthday cake was the first to really stand out to me, and still remains my favorite. Perhaps it was because Mom actually made it herself. (I think this is the only one she made. Why she stopped there, I have no idea. It was awesome!) Unfortunately, this is the only picture of all the years that I cannot find. My birthday party was sunflower themed, and Mom made a sunflower cake. She made a round chocolate cake with chocolate frosting topped with Hershey kisses. Yellow-frosted Twinkies (bless their hearts) stuck out from the cake as petals. My 9-year-old friends were awed.

That cake must have been too much work. The next two years I got Dairy Queen cakes. One was Angelica from Rugrats, because that year I was a little brat, apparently. The next year was the Powerpuff Girls, who I sought to resemble as an eleven-year-old.

2013-06-05 05.43.14.jpg
8: Mommy thought I was a brat


10: Girl talking on a phone - I think I got my first phone in my room on this birthday.

11: Powerpuff Girls, Daddy and me

After the ice cream cake phase, Mom found a lady in town who would make most of my birthday cakes up through age twenty-three. Shirley made me a CD cake to captivate my terrible junior high music interests, then ballet slippers after my one year of dance class. At fourteen, Shirley made a giant Oreo cake to satisfy my new obsession, and on my sixteenth she made a cake-sized driver's license. Seventeen was a cake with a pink ice cream cone on it. By then, ice cream had replaced my Oreo obsession.

12: CD - that birthday party consisted of a lot of Destiny's Child, Britney Spears and N'Sync


13: Ballet slippers, and a hideous swimsuit

2013-06-05 05.45.21.jpg
14: I loooooove Oreos! And these girls!



15: Volleyball


16: Driver's license

17: Ice cream cone



18: Princess crown



I threw everyone a curveball on my nineteenth and made a vegan birthday cake. Disgusting decision. Thank goodness my friend Gwen made me a Funfetti cake or I never would have made it through that birthday.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/208910_1022687844816_5126_n.jpg
Thanks, Gwen!

 On my twentieth, my friend Lauren, who had just graduated pastry school, made me an elegant fondant cake.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/4970_119449113592_5951520_n.jpg https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/4715_607171780921_3977944_n.jpg


The next year, Shirley hooked me up with a margarita cake for my twenty-first. (Unfortunately, I don't remember eating that cake. Good thing there's a photo!)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/28514_130528313642692_1878932_n.jpg
Daddy and me on my 21st, partying at Rookies in Davenport, IA.
At twenty-two, I had just earned my bachelor's degree in English, so my cake was a giant book. Pretty cool.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/283585_246665992028923_1437992_n.jpg


When I lived in Disney World's back yard at twenty-three, I flew home for Shirley's pink and purple castle cake.
 https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/205414_472505919444928_402958614_n.jpg

And now twenty-four, need I say more?

 

I chose Cinderella for a number of reasons, the first being that I saw this online and it looked awesome. The second being that I really feel like Cinderella in this year and in this moment. I moved back from Florida in bad shape and everything turned around, thanks to friends, family, the community and the love of my life. It's been a fairytale kind of year.

The picture online had a caption with the cake that said “If the shoe fits, wear it.” That's the kind of mood I have going into year 24. I'm making another big move this summer because I know it's the perfect fit. I don't have a job going into this move, but this cupcake business started out of nowhere, and it seems to fit. Why not make it grow?

Not to mention, my feet are two different sizes. It is very hard to find heels that fit.

Here's to twenty-four, and the shoe fitting.

What are some of your favorite birthday cakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment