Search This Blog

Monday, June 10, 2013

Half the cupcakes, twice the chaos

Before I get too far into this story, let me just say that the finished cupcakes for my second baby shower order turned out wonderfully. The client was very pleased, as was I, with the finished product.

2013-06-07 16.38.28.jpg 2013-06-07 16.40.02.jpg

However, the journey to these beauties was not all sprinkles and smiles. Having baked one hundred cupcakes the week before with no problems, forty-eight sounded like a breeze. Every once in a while, people have days where nothing goes right.

I have those days often.

It was my birthday, and I was giddy to have the day off and spend it doing what I love most: baking. I also thought I could make my own birthday cake in the same day. Wrong. I had plenty offers for birthday cakes, but no, I demanded that I make my own since I've been so into baking this year.

Why it was not my day

  • I still can't count, therefore don't know how many times to multiply an ingredient to get 48 cupcakes. I should probably consult a mathematician before my next large order, or gain some common sense.
  • For whatever reason, one batch of cupcakes exploded in the oven. Had to make another batch.
  • Mess. Messy. Messier.
  • After filling a dozen cupcake tins with batter, I realized I forgot an ingredient. Had to transfer all the batter back into the bowl, mix in the milk, and pour it back into the tins. Mess.
  • The second batch of frosting had a vast difference in consistency than the first. Still don't know why.
  • I waited too long to start drinking wine.
  • I broke at least six decorating bags. One after another. I may have cursed a time or two.
  • My birthday cake tasted like cornbread. Not intentional.
  • My birthday cake did not want to come out of its pan in one flat piece.

Lessons learned

I would never have made it through the day without my friend Kayla. She ordered me lunch when I forgot about eating. She handled the birthday cake disasters, (the cornbread taste went away with all the frosting she caked on it). She mixed the perfect tiffany blue color for the baby shower cupcakes. Her very presence kept me from freaking out. And the best part, she worked so hard on salvaging my cake because she knew I wasn't giving up on that Cinderella cake, the whole time knowing she had already made me cupcakes for what would be my surprise party later that night. Talk about a great friend.

Sometimes, the best memories are made in the kitchen.

With Kayla's help, I was able to make my Cinderella glass slipper birthday cake! Check back tomorrow for tips on making this cake.
 
Read my 24 years of cake post for more fun birthday cakes, and tell me about yours!
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    Nice site. I want some cupcakes! NOW !!!!

    Byron Dormire (Blogging 101)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Byron, thanks for visiting my blog!

      You're my first comment ever, woohoo! Hopefully the trend will catch on.

      Happy blogging :)

      Delete