Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Books Before Movies

I recently came across this awesome pin:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/books-to-read-before-they-hit-the-big-screen
14 Books To Read Before They Hit The Big Screen

I am a huge fan of reading the book before seeing the movie. In some cases, like Catching Fire and The Great Gatsby, this has been a good thing where the movie really captures the settings and characters in the books. In others, ahem, Twilight, the movie adaptation proved to be a huge disappointment to the book, in my opinion. But other people (like my chick-flick loving father) who hadn't read the books still loved the movie.

This list here is great if you're looking for a book to read. I highly recommend Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn for a sweet suspenseful novel, and I can't wait to see the movie with Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. There are huge twists in this book that will leave you mystified.




The Fault in Our Stars was a really good, emotional and sweet book about two young teenagers battling cancer. John Green is a great young adult author and his characters are really lovable.



I just finished reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and haven't seen the movie yet. This was another young adult read, based on a girl's desire to steal books in World War II Germany. I haven't heard much about the movie, but this is another book with great characters who I can't wait to see portrayed on screen.


The first book on this list is Divergent by Veronica Roth. This is another one of those young adult series, but I didn't think this book came close to The Hunger Games or some of those other ones. It is an interesting idea, the division of society by personality types, but I just didn't think the whole plot or premise was powerful enough. In this case, I think the movie might be more enjoyable. (Mainly because Theo James, who plays the character Four, looks smokin' hot.) There were a few good scenes in this book, and it's a quick read, but it wasn't one of my favorites.


And I'm currently reading The Wolf of Wall Street, the true story of Jordan Belfort that is out in theaters now. I'm about 200 pages in, and I can't believe how honest this man is about the terrible things he has done. Nonetheless, it's a riveting story that I don't want to put down, and it's a great role for Leonardo DiCaprio. I can't wait to see it.


I haven't read all of them, but I'd like to (except for that Horns book with Daniel Radcliffe. That doesn't look right). Have you read any of these?


No comments:

Post a Comment