Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Healthy Banana Pancakes

At 10:30 a.m. this morning, there was only one treadmill left for me at the gym. I ran, and ran, and ran some more. One by one, my Sunday morning treadmill-goers trickled away. Almost two hours later, I finally looked up from my kindle and wondered where everyone went. My treadmill was the only one still moving, my legs were still going, even my kindle had some power left.

Eleven miles on a treadmill is not ideal, but it seemed safer (and potentially less embarrassing) than dodging ice patches on the slick sidewalks.



What gets you through 11 miles on a treadmill?

It starts with a big ol' breakfast.

Since Kyle and I got our Belgian waffle maker for Christmas, I've been indulging in big ol' waffles before my long runs on Sundays. But Kyle has decided he wants less of the unhealthy flour we use, and more wholesome, "clean" waffles. He had a good point.

I found this recipe from a blog called Sweet Treats and More for banana protein pancakes, but I tweaked it a little. I used oats, cottage cheese, almond milk, a banana, chia seeds, egg whites and honey for the major parts. I figured that most pancake recipes could be used to make a waffle, but my first attempt made me think otherwise.

So I made the rest of the batter into pancakes, and they still did not hold together well. This sent me on a mission to find out what it is that glues all the ingredients into a perfectly fluffy pancake.

Any guesses anyone?

Baking powder! Which I ran out of yesterday making us some healthy muffins. Lesson learned.

However, our mushy, funny-looking pancakes tasted delicious. Even Kyle really liked them. I've never liked cottage cheese, but they are well disguised in this recipe and add healthy protein. I topped mine with more banana slices, peanut butter and honey for a good pre-run mix of carbs, protein and healthy fats. Yum!

I'm regretting now that I didn't take a picture of these, because honestly they were not pretty. But I assure you that if you use baking powder, not only will you have pretty pancakes, but they will also be tasty, very filling, and an extremely good and healthy start to your day.

You might even feel like going for a leisure 11-mile run after.

Banana Pancakes (Princess version)

  • 1 1/2c. oats
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4c. almond milk
  • 1/2c. cottage cheese
  • 1T. honey
  • 1t. vanilla
  • 1t. cinnamon
  • 1t. salt
  • 1t. BAKING POWDER
  • 1T. chia seeds (optional)
  • 1 banana (or 1/2c. blueberries or other fruit, mix it up!)
Mix all of these ingredients together. Cook pancakes about 2-4 minutes on each side. 

Nutrition: 

2 pancakes, 1/3 of recipe (with the Chia seeds) = 
Calories: 266
Fat: 5.8g
Carbs: 45g
Fiber: 7g
Protein: 10g

(2 days later, got baking powder and tried the waffle version again. Sweet success!)



No comments:

Post a Comment