Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Red Velvet Cookies: a Princess Original

So, I'm a week late on my Valentine's Day dessert blogging, but the good thing is that Valentine's Day desserts can and should be eaten any time of year! So although it may be a week late, you are getting a delicious red velvet cookie recipe that you can choose to make heart shaped or not.

I, personally, would always choose the heart-shaped option.



Every year I get big ideas for Valentine's baking. There are so many cute things to do! But this year, I was falling off my baking wagon and did the unimaginable...I ordered cupcakes from someone else. I didn't think I'd have the time to put into my always sought after Valentine baking therapeutic session. Luckily, I was forced to.




A girl from the restaurant I work at asked me to make a cookie cake for her boyfriend. Since I don't turn down orders and I really needed the kick in the butt to bake, I said heck yes.

Thus I made a Princess Michelle original recipe for Red Velvet Cookie Cake, and Red Velvet Cookies, with cream cheese frosting.



(Of course there are thousands of recipes for red velvet cookies, and I might not be the only one to make them the way I did. But I made them without looking anything up, so I'm calling them a Princess Original.)

I used the same recipe my mom and I have always used for regular chocolate chip cookies, but added 1/4c. cocoa and a ton of red food coloring. It took several drops to make this thick dough turn a nice red-velvety color. I also used chocolate and white chocolate chips, mostly to give the cookie even more of the Valentine spirit.

Since I couldn't eat my friend's cookie cake, I had to make an extra batch to taste it. These cookies went with the Valentines I handed out at work, and most of them went in the tummy of my Valentine, Kyle.


These cookies turned out to be insane. Insane in the way the white chocolate and regular chocolate give them a sweet crunch. Insane in the way your favorite cake is now a cookie melting in your mouth. Insane with the way cream cheese compliments red velvet, the best couple in the land of baked goods.

And the cupcakes I had ordered for myself, also red velvet and cream cheese. What is it about this couple that is so irresistible?



Try these out for yourselves. It is a very simple recipe with an incredible outcome.


Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2c. butter
  • 1/2c. shortening
  • 1t. vanilla
  • 3/4c. sugar
  • 3/4c. brown sugar
  • 1/4c. cocoa powder
  • 1t. salt
  • 1t. baking soda
  • 2 1/4c. flour
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix together eggs, butter, shortening, vanilla, both sugars and cocoa until well blended. At least two minutes.
  3. Add salt and baking soda.
  4. Add flour 1/2c. at a time. If dough is too runny, try adding another 1/4 to 1/2c. flour.
  5. Bake cookies for about 12 minutes. Cookie cake will take about 14-15 minutes. Cookies will expand. 
*tip: Since these expanded so much, I made a sheet full of the dough and used the cookie cutter after they were done baking rather than before. Then you will have a lot of left over cookie pieces. Pick a good movie, plop down on the couch with your cookie pieces and a bowl of the cream cheese frosting if you're having a bad day.

Cream Cheese Frosting

  • 8oz. cream cheese at room temperature
  • 3c. powdered sugar
  • 1t. vanillla
Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1/2c. at a time. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment