Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A healthier cupcake

When I'm not baking cupcakes, or doing my real job, I'm out on the road running. Yes, running, uggghh.

I've been training for a few months for the Chicago Rock n' Roll Half Marathon, which I'm running with my boyfriend and another friend on Sunday, July 21st (yikes, less than two weeks away!).

When I tell people about my training or they see me running, the common response is: "So that's why you can eat all those cupcakes."

Yes and no. Well, mostly yes, but really, no.

I'm certainly taking advantage of these extra burnt calories by testing my cupcakes, but I've been trying to eat healthier so I don't feel a container of frosting sloshing around in my tummy while I'm running.

Thus, the Healthy Cupcake.

Okay, you might be thinking, "Hey, this is a muffin!" Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on top. It's a healthier frosting, which makes it a cupcake, a Healthy Cupcake.


I first came across this recipe for "Yum Yum Brownie Muffins" when I fell in love with Hungry Girl in college. However, the recipe I use might actually be original because I misread her recipe.

It's simple. Mix together a box of low-fat brownie mix and canned pure pumpkin. Yes, pumpkin. And that's it! Fill 12 muffin tins and bake for about 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees. (Hungry Girl uses a devil's food cake mix instead of low-fat brownie, which is just as awesome.)

 2013-07-09 17.27.54.jpg

Now, you're thinking pumpkin in your chocolate cupcake is scary. I understand, but trust me, these are delicious. They do not have a pumpkin flavor, the pumpkin just makes them more creamy and fantastic. I tested these on my college roommates back in the day, and those picky chicks loved them. Of course, I didn't tell them about the pumpkin until after.

Hungry Girl is all about making treats that we love to indulge in, such as cupcakes, low fat and low calorie while still tasting delicious. She has quite a few cookbooks out there, including her latest "200 Under 200: Just Desserts," with plenty of cupcake, brownie and cookie recipes.

I love what Hungry Girl is doing, but my philosophy is that if I'm going to have a cupcake, I'm going to have a real, sugar- and butter-loaded cupcake. But it's all about moderation. I can eat these pumpkin cupcakes more often because they're only about 180 calories and 3.5 grams if fat. And these are so good that my extra-sweet tooth is fully satisfied after one.

Why bake with pumpkin?

2013-07-09 17.28.01.jpgAccording to Hungry Girl...
  • It eliminates the need for common fattening ingredients.
  • Low in calories, high in fiber.
  • Pure pumpkin doesn't have any added salt, sugar, or flavorings, which is why you'll only taste the rich chocolate flavor.
www.hungry-girl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment