Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2013

Birthday cake for a golfer

My awesome boyfriend (and now roommate!) turned 23 last week. For someone who is not a big fan of cake, which breaks my heart a little, I had to do something that would make him love it anyway.

This Wilton golf bag cake pan was just the answer:


Kyle might not like cake, but he loves to golf. Who wouldn't like a cake shaped as their favorite hobby?

This pan was very easy and fun to use. Just grease the inside or spray it with cooking spray and pour your cake mix in to fill it. (I made a lemon cake, which Kyle loved, and I hated.) Bake the cake for the same amount of time you would for a 9x13 pan, about 35 to 40 minutes.

Let it cool, at least twenty minutes, then level off the top with a knife. Once it is completely cool, place a plate or cake board on top of the cake, and flip the cake onto the board keeping both hands on the pan and cake board. Lift pan off cake carefully, and your cake should look like this:



Decorating is the fun part! I made a fluffy vanilla frosting (I was going to make it lemon, but I forgot to add lemon juice. I guess I was looking forward to decorating too much.) Kyle's favorite color is green, so I made a green golf bag and red and blue clubs. Basically, follow the image on the pan to decorate. However, the cake comes out facing the opposite way than in the picture, so keep that in mind!

Also, I am not a golfer and had no idea that the numbers on the clubs pictured on the pan meant anything. I thought for sure I could substitute Kyle's age, but he didn't seem to get why there was a "2 iron" in the golf bag. I guess that's not a thing.



It takes some time to make a good-looking golf bag, but I watched a lot of Reba and had a good time with it.

Anyway, Kyle was pretty stoked about his golf bag cake (or he did a good job pretending to be). I know I'll get a lot of use out of this cake pan with the golf guys in my family. Also, Wilton has cake pans for just about every character and hobby out there. I really want to get some of the princess ones, but I think I'd be the only one getting any enjoyment out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment