Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and my new job

More fall weather = more pumpkin!

I am so pumped about all the pumpkin, and I'm trying to find out how to incorporate it into everyday life. Last week I made pumpkin bars, which have been great for after-dinner desserts. But don't you like to have something small after lunch, too? What better than a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie! (Or two!)


Pumpkin and chocolate chips? What?? I know, not typically what you might pair your pumpkin with, but I promise it is an incredible combination. The pumpkin results in a more soft and cake-like cookie, but the chocolate chips give it a bit more of a cookie-type crunch. Don't be surprised when they come out of the oven looking like little muffin tops instead of crunchy cookies.

These bad boys went over a lot better than I thought. I made a double batch, just in case they were too good. And good thing I did.

The cookies went tailgating at the Iowa State/University of Iowa game this weekend, and got eaten up by buzzed Cyclone fans before they would melt in the sun. The cookies accompanied me at work yesterday and made me lots of new friends. Their cake-like texture made me think people wouldn't like them, but I was wrong. Everyone seemed to like the pumpkin/chocolate combination.


And I still have plenty left for Boyfriend and me, but he is the only one who doesn't seem to like them. More for me :)

Also, I have good news. I recently got a new part-time job which involves cake, ice cream, and frosting. Any guesses?

Midnight Delight anyone?
I'm decorating cakes at Coldstone Creamery! This Midnight Delight cake pictured here is one of the first ones I made. It is built with layers of devil's food cake, fudge, and chocolate ice cream, then covered in chocolate ganache (which I am learning is the devil to work with) and sprinkled with chocolate shavings.

Strawberry Passion Cake, another one I enjoy making.  Photo credit: www.onsecondscoop.com

I get to do this about 10 to 20 hours a week, in addition to my restaurant job. This keeps my urge to bake and decorate satisfied. Good thing, because Kyle is starting to get nervous about all the sweets in the apartment.

The hardest part about this job is not eating my work.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1c. pumpkin puree
  • 1c. white sugar
  • 1/3c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 egg
  • 2c. flour
  • 2t. baking powder
  • 2t. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2t. salt
  • 1t. baking soda
  • 1t. milk
  • 1t. vanilla
  • 2c. chocolate milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Combine pumpkin, sugar, vegetable oil and egg. Mix until combined. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda. Add milk and vanilla extract to flour mixture.
  3. Add pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture and mix until fully combined. Add in chocolate chips.
  4. Drop spoon size dough balls onto the greased cookie sheet, about an inch apart. Bake for about 8 to 12 minutes. I wanted to leave them in longer, but they really won't get more crunchy. Remember they are cake-y!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job Michelle!! The cookies look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is quite possibly the most perfect job for you love! <3

    ReplyDelete