Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wedding Cake Review

Kyle and I went to a wedding last weekend for a couple of his friends from school who live in Harlan, Iowa. We may have missed a Luke Bryan concert for it, but we were definitely still in the country.

The bride's family lives on a farm, where they held the wedding. Farms make me nervous, as I have relentless allergies, but this was nothing like I expected.

The wedding was absolutely beautiful and the couple, although I didn't know them before, were the sweetest people.

But let's get to the part we're all interested in - the cake.

While I'm sure the couple spent a ton of money to get their land in tip-top shape for the wedding, they had to have saved so much in other areas. It's nice to see that such a beautiful and heartfelt wedding can happen without shelling out hundreds of dollars for a fancy hall, or a professional cake.

I believe the bride said the cake was made by a family member. She joked that the top layer fell off the day of the wedding, but you couldn't tell anything was amiss with this simple, beautiful end product:



The bride and groom cut themselves a chunk from that cake. The guests were served a different cake, that our friends decided was probably a Jell-O poke whipped cream cake. These cakes are easy to make and I'm sure was a huge money saver. They were made in pink and green to match the wedding colors.

2013-06-15 20.37.01.jpg
It wouldn't be right if I didn't try one of each.

This cake was delicious. It's not your usual wedding cake, but it's good and it's going to please everyone. The colors were a cute addition.

I had three pieces.

Here is a link for a Jell-O cake recipe.


They also put out on the tables these little sugared roses and other cute designs. Simple sweet pleasures while you're waiting to eat, just my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment